still designing

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Thu Dec 12 15:24:12 CST 1996

Ok
I'm still thinking out loud.
I have wet weather here so 1 foot would be minumum.
(the foundation above grade I mean)
Actually I was thinking of digging two feet down putting my footing
in (wider than 18 in wall)
(could I mix mix a bunch of dry cement to the gravel, mix and add
water to get basically a cement slab for the footing)
 then  put a stone wall (aka stem wall) up four feet so
that two feet of the outside wall would be exposed above grade and
the crawl space would be four feet ( 2 + 2 )
The 4 foot  stone wall shouldn't have any trouble handling the weight of the
cob wall???
By the way, I looking  at my last straw magazine
(you know that other building technique..just kidding)
 I noticed  they have a
section on foundations. they mention dry stone but not stone with
mortar. Any particular reason? I guess I'm just nervous because I
really love stone and don't want to find a good reason not to use it.

By the way I'm looking for used mortar mixer.
so far nothing in my price range.
"If you don't have enouph madness in you, go and rehabilitate yourself" - Rumi