Re(2): wastewater treatment

coblist Conference @ txinfinet.com XINCLXcoblist at txinfinet.com
Wed Dec 11 22:27:59 CST 1996

duckchow at ix.netcom.com writes:
>>Composting toilets are expensive ($750-1000)...

>	Possibly cheaper if you make your own.

True, but many Health Departments require National Sanitation Foundation
approval - and you're not going to have that on your handbuilt one-holer.

And someone who will go unnamed, as I would hate to see the SD Graywater
Police on their case, wrote:

>We'll be able to live in anything we want when we
>finally move to our site in South Dakota - but if they catch us without a
>septic system, we get nailed big time

So we're faced once again with the classic problem:  do it the officially
sanctioned, "safe", but not terribly sustainable and probably more expensive
way, take your chances educating your officials as to the alternatives in the
hope that they'll let you do it as a test case, or become a graywater outlaw
and risk having to pay more overall, when they force you to retrofit to the
Official version after they catch you.

Sorry, looks like we've gone pretty far off topic here...

Now returning to your regularly scheduled discussions of Cob builing.

BC

--

Bill Christensen
billc at txinfinet.com
Sustainable Building Calendar at http://www.greenbuilder.com
 Texas InfiNet - an online community for progressive information
                    BBS  512.462.0633
             Telnet://shakti.txinfinet.com:3000
              WWW  http://www.mahainfinet.com/