Nader Khalili

Eric D. Hart erichart at mtn.org
Wed Jan 1 22:08:05 CST 1997

At 09:20 PM 1/1/97 +0000, goshawk at gnat.net wrote:
>Well I'm grearing up to start building this spring, I took a big
>plung.
>I went ahead and sent off for Cal-earth's super adobe roll to attempt
>to build a doomed type structure.
>Anyone out there ever build with the adobe sandbag thing.
>Pat
>(bull dozer is coming in on the 15 of January to level the spot.
        Gee Pat, you should check your spelling before hitting the send
key!!  I certainly *hope* (especially after your trailer blew up in flames)
that you don't have any *doomed* structures!!  I wish you luck in your
research on a *domed* structure!!  And sorry, plung isn't a word but
*plunge* is.
        More to the topic at hand, have you abandoned cob construction?  Or
are you just pulling together all your options before building.  I trust you
have no building codes in the county you live in, otherwise all this talk of
alternatives may be a bit premature.  If you are looking to do something
different but tried and true, I would stick with cob construction.  Its been
around for a while and seems to be pretty straight forward.   From what I
can tell from Nader Khalili's work, its all pretty radical and appropriate
for very arid and hot climates.  So if you aren't into really experimental
things it may not be for you.  I am also not sure if what he does is
appropriate for the warm and humid climate that you have there in Georgia.

Eric D. Hart
Community Eco-design Network
Minneapolis, MN  USA
(612) 305-2899