what's cob really all about and can I use it in colorado?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Feb 18 21:23:21 CST 1997

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Edward J Hartnett wrote:

[SNIP]
> But I also need a storage shed - would cob be a good choice for that kind
> of structure?

Cob could certainly be used for this type of structure

> Do the walls always have to be very thick?

The walls can be built thinner, but will be weaker and less stable.  For a
SMALL storage shed you should be able to take them down to less than
one foot thick, but I would start to worry about the strength and
stability of the wall if it gets to thin, and the last thing you want is
for a section of cob wall to fall on you.  I personally don't think I
would try anything less than 8" thick for a full height (6+ foot) wall
regardless of how small the structure is.

Anyone on the list have some experience with thinner cob walls?

> Are the walls usually loadbearing or is there some post and beam to hold up
> the roof?

Cob walls are load bearing, the only wood typically used is for door and
window frames and other attachments to the walls.

> Anyone know of any cob buildings in Colorado?

There was a workshop held in Carbondale Colorado last August, though I am
not sure what was built.  The work was to be performed at Solar Energy
International, so you should be able to find out more by giving them a
call at (970) 963-8855

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com