News from Southern Africa

EMMERENTIA CLOETE RENCIA at i1.iplan.co.za
Mon Mar 3 11:57:30 CST 1997

Hullo Everyone. Greetings from Cape Town!
There's a bunch of us here in the southern tip of Africa just got
taught how to cob by Jan Stuurman who came out and ran some courses.
We've formed a natural builder's colloqium and have started a
newsletter. We'll be swopping skills and labour and such too.
I'm raving about cob and have read through all your mail to date, but
hadn't much to contribute until now.
The Suskin's have got their plans for a strawbale house past code and
are getting geared to start. I'm selling my heavily bonded suburban
house so's I can  start again with a cob house. It's in the hands
of the gods and goddesses right now as to when this one sells and I
can get going on the new one. But meanwhile I'm exploring all the
peripheral stuff like where to get my clay and my scavenged car
windows etc. Keith Struthers has been quietly building cob for about
three years now and has the code all sorted out already!
 I live pretty close to a squatter camp and all these
beautiful natural people from the rural areas are coming in and living
in plastic baghouses and losing their connection with the earth and
wanting mercedes Benzes and swimming pools. I'm looking forward to
what can grow out of  building a "mudhouse" in the middle of suburbia!
Also, I'm doing the foundaton year at the Steiner college part-time
and in our first module which was on the threefold aspect of
man, of course I chose Architecture as the theme for my project. Completely
blew my mind, and I figured it might be interesting to some of you.
Including the final paragraph here but could zap out the entire thing
to any who are interested.
NATURAL BUILDING
>From Bayes, page 25: "...he (Steiner) tells us that when we use the the earth,
the seas, the forests and so on for raw materials,we not only upset an
ecological balance but also cast out elemental beings or nature spirits who
live there. But then when we use these materials in technology we produce
something which becomes the abode, not of the displaced nature spirits,
but of Ahrimanic beings.
Every new building deprives a plot of earth of the healing forces of sun,
wind, rain, plant and animal life. The building must redeem this by its own
qualities. Steiner adds another aspect to this by saying that when man
gazes at nature the perceptive quality of his life of soul deteriorates,
but that the introduction of true architecture into the landscape can
rescue the soul from this situation, can provide a remedial and
therapeutic focus."
When one builds with your own hands, you are actually pouring your
life forces into the building and building an etheric building at the
same time. You are `enlivening' the materials - like potentising medicine.
At night when we sleep, the astral body gets drained by the Ahrimanic
energies in the building materials produced by technology, but in this way
these forces are counteracted.
Finally, in the last chapter, Steiner says " .... it is not at all unnatural
that in a building which belongs to the present and future, we should set
out in full consciousness to create forms which will help man to conquer
the consciousness of merely physical and material actuality and feel
himself expanded out into the cosmos through the architecture, sculpture
and all that this work of art may contain."
That's it! Will talk to you again. Good luck with all your buildings.
Regards, Rencia.