cob workshops

coblist Conference @ txinfinet.com XINCLXcoblist at txinfinet.com
Tue Apr 8 10:35:36 CDT 1997

RE cob workshops

To Janie and others contemplating cob workshops:

Last fall I was of more than 30 cobbers from all over the USA, Canada and
Jamaica to begin building a cob cottage in Central Texas.  Ianto Evans, his
assistant Mark and architect Gayle Borst took us through 8 long days of
serious cobbing - practice and principles.  The experience opened the door for
a new direction in my life work - conducting cob oven workshops in this
region.  Great interest has been expressed in this earth material - people
want to literally get their hands and feet into it!

Cobbing builds on my Permaculture learnings in a most beautiful and fulfilling
way.  A small cadre of devotees continue to build the walls up towards the
rafters, and we're nearly there.  Soon the roof will be put into place.

I urge anyone considering a cob workshop to go ahead.  The applications are
numerous.  The experience totaly worthwhile.  The learnings never ending.  One
significant learning came from Ianto's conversation to all of us about
orienting a cob structure for solar gain and relishing the movement of the sun
on the cottage as morning changes to day and into night.

Regards,
Yvonne Hansen - cobber and loving it - in the USA and hopefully in Denmark in
June!
<Yvonne Hansen,GeminIdeas at greenbuilder>

--

Sustainable Building Calendar at http://www.greenbuilder.com
Sustainable Sources - Internet Solutions with an Environmental Perspective