News from Southern Africa (fwd)

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Mar 4 15:57:38 CST 1997

> 1) Regarding the "beautiful and natural people"....
While I agree they are beautiful people, as we all are,
 I suspect that they are losing touch with reality as well as the earth,
 living in plastic

You know it's kind of funny, I mean I've lived in West Africa for
about 3 years and my sister lived there about 10 years. I have to ask
my self is being sensitive to "beautiful and natural people" an
American politically correct statement or what. I don't really know
what the answer is .... I mean in once sense we are talking about a
people whom had there land taken from them and on the other hand
the "beautiful and natural people" of  South Africa have the
"statistically" higher standard of living than most other African
countries. My own  thoughts are that the answer is not really simple
nor is it black and white. Like most of life it's more complex than
we often know.

> 2) The section from Bayes that you quoted was more than interesting, it was downright provocative.  I would be grateful if you could "zap out the entire thing" to me.  You might want to mail it dire

We really don't get that much mail on the coblist at this point so go
ahead and post it (my opinion only).

> Oh, by the way - while having to deal with a temporary financial setback,
 we are looking to build within the year.
  Haven't finalized the design yet, but will probably try to combine either a cob or

Hey I can relate to this:
by the way do you have termite problems in South Africa?
My brother in law...builder of several cob style dome houses in West
Africa commented on how he was worried about how strawbale houses
might hold up with the super termites they faced. In fact they only
use aluminum windows for that reason.

latter dudes

Patrick and Carroll in Mauk Georgia   USA
"If you don't have enouph madness in you, go and rehabilitate yourself" - Rumi