Stabilization of first 6 inches

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue May 27 13:53:15 CDT 1997

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Marcos O. Camargo wrote:

> Can one use cement-stabilized cob for the first 6 inches above
> ground?  Will a cement, sand, clay mix withstand humidity and frost?
> Can I use this mixture instead of a course of rock?  Actually could
> adobe bricks be made of this mixture and used as the first course?

I know the rammed earth people often use cement in their mixes, but I am
not aware of anyone trying it as just a foundation.  I would be curious to
know what the effect of the cement would be on the straw in the cob mix.
Of course if you leave the straw out, then you just have a rammed earth
mix, but if the cement (or moisture wicked from the ground for that
matter) didn't degrade the straw, then I would think that the cement-cob
mix would be stronger since the straw would act as a structural
reinforcement somewhat like rebar.

Anyone have real information as opposed to my rampant speculation?

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com