Stabilization of first 6 inches

Rubina Shaikh 9501630s at student.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 28 11:42:52 CDT 1997

> On Fri, 23 May 1997, Marcos O. Camargo wrote:
>
> > Can one use cement-stabilized cob for the first 6 inches above
> > ground?  Will a cement, sand, clay mix withstand humidity and frost?
> > Can I use this mixture instead of a course of rock?  Actually could
> > adobe bricks be made of this mixture and used as the first course?

As long as using the cement for soil stabilisation , we have to
analysis that how much amount of clay in soil , then we would be able
to decide weither the cement would be suitable...
high plastic clay is rarely suitable for cement or stabilisttion some
sand is required to aid to correct its particles size distribution.
Lime would be suitable for high plastic clay... using lime .. it
takes time become more strong , lime stabilised soil increases its
strength with time period...
if its difficult to do other tests than .. shrinkage test is possible
on the site.. there is perscrbed amount of stabiliser with percentage
of linear shrinkage..e.g
``````````````
Shrinkage            soil       cement        Lime
less than 15mm, soil is not suitable for stabilisation because of
insufficient amount of clay
15-30mm    : 1 part of soil and 20m part of cement or 7 parts of lime
30-45mm :1 part of soil 15 of cement or 6 parts for lime
45-60mm: 1 part of soil 12 parts of cement
more than 60mm shrinkage insuffiecent amount of sand.. sand need t5o
be add....

Generally some book writes that almost all types of soil suitable for
cement stabilisation except the soil which have high percentage of
organic matter in soil and salt rich soils also not suitable for
cement . cement could be used woith high percentage of clay in soil
but for this you need high percentage of cement ...

Using Bitumen is also alternatives water resistance or controlling
moisture migration.... but doesn'nt help for increasing strength of
the soil...
Note : please be care ful during using lime.. again lime have
different types of lime.. it s depend on availability... overall
hydraulic lime would be recomended...

please be free to discuss about stabilisation with me.. I want to
increase my knowledeg regarding stabilisation..

Rubina Noor Shaikh         45E Kelvinhaugh street
Postgrad student           Glasgow G3 8PE U.K.
Mackintosh School of
Architecture
University of Glasgow
Information Secretary