coblist: Non-member submission from [David Knapp <DMKnapp at mail.rkd.snds.com>] (fwd)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jun 24 13:28:17 CDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:17:45 -0500
From: David Knapp <DMKnapp at mail.rkd.snds.com>
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Earthships vis-av-vis cob -Reply

Tim,
I think you are asking if you can build a cob style home while
incorporating the earthship type sustainable characteristics.

The answer is probably yes. I have seen several photo's of cob
construction incorporating passive solar. You could probably add the
grey water, rain catch water, and PV/wind systems also. I definitely
would not expect the construction method to be any faster. In fact
(speedwise), cob lends itself toward smaller square footage, where as
Earthships tend to get big really fast. I'm a fan of building small, but if you
feel you need 2,000 sq ft, then cob may not be your best choice (unless
you have a few years to devote to building, even Earthships take along
time). I grew up living comfortably with our family of five in a 384 sq ft
cabin, so I know about downsizing.

Another consideration is soil types. If you have all sand, all gravel, or all
clay, you would have to import some of the ingredients for the right
mixture. With Earthships you can pretty much use what you have (with
an engineers help).

Earthships were intended to address the problem of the worlds garbage
and as you know the tires and cans are one aspect of them. Whether
you build via cob or Earthships won't matter in that you won't see tires or
cans sticking out of either of them.

What matters most is what choice do you personally prefer and which
one works better at your particular building site using your own definition
of what sustainable living really means.

Take Care,

Dave Knapp
Winnebago, IL

>>> Timothy Tikker <timjt%awod.com at internet.rkd.snds.com> 06/24/97
07:20am >>>
Sorry if this question is too elementary....

I'm just beginning to investigate the Earthship concept.  I understand that
it normally calls for rammed earth, tires, cans, etc.

I'm wondering what anyone here has thought about the integration of
cob
construction with Earthship concepts?  If it feasible?

I ask because cob really appears to ma a much more attractively natural
method than using tires & cans -- though I fully understand and
appreciate
the intent of the latter, and admit that such applications can have merit.

- Tim Tikker