Ants and Earthen Floors

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Wed Jul 2 06:07:11 CDT 1997

-Speireag.

.Re:

   Someone commented recently that he decided to go with a poured cement
floor because making the floor proof against ants would be expensive and
difficult.

   I had not considered ants as a possible problem in earthen floors.  Are
they?  Has anyone on the list ever had them come up through a floor, or
heard of such a thing?  Is there a non-toxic ingredient which will deter
the wee beasties?
We use 6 mill plastic under our earthen floors, just as we do under
concrete.
I would think it quite unlikely that ants would be able to go through the
plastic.
Bob