SB: Cob Plaster on Straw Bale walls

Thomas P. Morrissey thomcelt at juno.com
Tue Jul 1 22:10:03 CDT 1997

What purpose are you trying to achieve in applying
cob as a plaster to straw bale?  Sorry if I missed
that in the thread of discussion.

I've seen cob used as a way to smooth out the
surface of a SB wall by shoving cob into the
joints/cracks in the SB wall.  Not only does
it smooth out the surface of the wall prior
to plastering, but it also makes the wall a
lot more stable / sturdy.  You then have to
apply less scratch coat to get a smoother
wall.

If you are after additional thermal mass (on the
inside of course) by putting a "cob plaster" on
the interior I guess I'd suggest cob internal
walls or a cob bench or two.  If you have an
earthen floor along with "normal" earthen plasters
and some cob walls / benches I'd suspect that
you'd have plenty of thermal mass for most
locales.

Maybe this is just semantics, but "cob" and many
earthen plasters share the same ingredients (clay,
sand and straw), so in fact many plasters are "cob".
Most folks think of "cob" as the wall material composed
of relatively course particles of clay, sand and straw.
Earthen plasters (from scratch to finish) can be made
with the same ingredients in successively finer particles
and in slightly different proportions.

-- Tom Morrissey,  thomcelt at juno.com
USPS: 5569 N. County Rd 29, Loveland, CO 80538  Phone: 970/679-4265