Cob Plaster on Straw Bale walls

Speireag speireag at linguist.dartmouth.edu
Sun Jun 29 11:14:30 CDT 1997

>We are doing lots of SB here in Southern Cal (finally),
>and both in Mexico - have used cob plasters quite a lot but just beginning
>our first cob building.

Bob -

    It occured to me a few weeks ago that you might be able to use cob as
plaster on a straw bale structure, and your comment reminded me of it.  To
what extent have you done this?  How thick do you make the cob?  Can you do
more than 8 inches of height per day because the cob is thinner and
partially supported by the straw bale wall?  Does this create any sort of
problem as far as introducing moisture into the straw or not permitting the
straw to breathe sufficiently?

    Since this speaks directly to straw bale construction, I'm also sending
it to the Straw Bale list.  Any balers have experience or comments?

-Speireag.

Speireag, aka Joshua Macdonald Alden (speireag at linguist.dartmouth.edu)
Ma 's e ur toigh le, sgrìobh thugam anns a' Ghàidhlig
 agus tapadh leat airson mo Ghàidhlig a cheartachadh.