mixing cob in sandy soil

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Mon Jul 7 03:14:41 CDT 1997

I came up with a way of making cob with my soil that seems to work
fairly well. I think it's geared toward the sandy soil though.
Basically I have this old electric cement mixer I picked up for $50.
My soil has very little clay or organic matter in it. I must get clay
from the local sand pit (Kaolin clay mainly) I put this in the cement
mixer with water and let it run creating a clay slip that's a bit
like thick chocolate milk.  Once the slip is made I take the slip and
add about 6 to 7 large coffee can's full into a wheel barrel full of
sand.  I mix this till the the moisture is about uniform and then add
some straw, mixing again.  The mixture is a bit drier than cob
because using the  super adobe bags you are working more like rammed
earth. I have made some bricks with this (I had to add a bit
more water to make the bricks) it seems to work good.  Getting the
slip mixed uniformly in the sand is easier (relatively speaking) than
using a screen to break the clay up and mix it dry with with the
sand.
When  I make cob to for building without bags, I will add a couple
more cans of slip to increase the moisture content so it will be more
workable.

Pat
Mauk Georgia

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arther C Clark