Cob email list

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Tue Jul 15 13:57:02 CDT 1997

Dear Jon,
I continue to be unable to post stuff on the coblist.  Can you please post
this for me:
Thanks

I'm sending the following plea to everyone that seems remotely appropriate:

The earth plaster that I put in the interior of my straw bale house has
been working so nicely that I've become emboldened to try to get it
approved for the exterior here in rainy Eugene, Oregon.

As with the interior, I want to use two good coats of earth plaster topped
with a layer of lime plaster for color and non-sandyness.

I had thought that I would use linseed oil inside and out, but Bill Steen
nixed that idea, feeling that it would reduce the breathability too much.
He suggested using potassium silicate (waterglass paint).  He also
suggested I explore how older European buildings with plastered earth and
straw infill dealt with the problem of moisture and breathability.

I'm presently permitted to put cement stucco on the exterior of my
building, but with all the earthen details looking so beautiful (we're
calling the place "Mud Luscious"), it's going to break my heart to stucco
it.  So I've got to somehow sell a predominantly earth plaster to the
building department.

Any suggestions that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Robert Bolman