Cob interior wall - foundation detail?

Thomas P. Morrissey thomcelt at juno.com
Wed Jul 16 22:21:39 CDT 1997

I'm considering a home design that has load-bearing
strawbale exterior walls and cob interior
walls/partitions.  I'd be interested in people's
thoughts on this sort of approach.

I feel as though the Cob interior walls will provide
  1) exceptional thermal mass (along with a Cob
  bench or two and an earthen floor),
  2) the ability for us to easily sculpt curved
  surfaces
The SB exterior walls will provide exceptional insulation
and since we will likely build in a location with pretty
cold winters and hot summers we are keen on thermal
performance.

I'm familiar with Cob as an exterior (load bearing) wall
as I've taken a CCC workshop and built a cob structure.
What I'm curious about is what detailing is required for
the base (foundation) of these interior Cob walls.  Should
I go through the same effort as I would for an exterior
cob wall?  I don't need to worry much about drainage and
the only load I really need to worry about is the dead weight
of the wall (as the wall won't be load bearing).  I guess
I still need to worry about moisture wicking up from below
as it will be on/in an earth-coupled floor (though I would
think/hope that the moisture present below an interior wall
would be minimal (if it's not then I'd have bigger problems).
So, can I get away with a rather shallow rubble trench (to
help distribute the dead load of the wall) and a really short
stem wall of some sort (to avoid any moisture and thermal
wicking and just in case there are any moisture disasters like
pipes bursting).

Your thoughts?

-- Tom Morrissey.   thomcelt at juno.com
USPS: 5569 N. County Rd. 29, Loveland, CO  80538.   Ph: 970/679-4265