Cob Re: earth floors and bee's wax

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Sun Jul 27 05:06:40 CDT 1997

I was checking out the cobCottage web site and was wondering about
using bee's wax and earthen floors.  I am familiar with using linseed
oil. How is it applied or is it mixed in with the final coat.

I've found a place where I can get earthen ready mix. Basically the
area where we live is very near a line in Georgia where the red clay
ends and the sand begins. There is a road near here where those two
lines meet. (an unpaved road) and after many passes over the years
with the grader in some attempt to keep this dirt road from being too
bumpy, a wall of ready mix earth as been formed at this point. I
simply stop my pickup, fill her up with the earth and it already had
the right percentage of clay and sand.
I am hoping this speed up the process a bit (before I was adding clay
to sand and mixing)
I hope to be done with my first dome / room in the next month.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arther C Clarke