Cob Re: earth floors and bee's wax

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Jul 28 14:59:15 CDT 1997

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997 goshawk at gnat.net wrote:

> I was checking out the cobCottage web site and was wondering about
> using bee's wax and earthen floors.  I am familiar with using linseed
> oil. How is it applied or is it mixed in with the final coat.
[snip]

Mix one part bee's wax with two parts linseed oil (you will have to heat
it to melt the wax) & apply with a clean rag.  This is a floor wax to be
applied after you have applied all of your coats of linseed oil.  This
will cause water or other spills to bead up and keep them from soaking
into the floor.  It will need to be reapplied periodically just like any
other floor wax.  It also helps to heat your linseed oil when doing the
linseed oil coats, since it will help the floor to absorb it faster.

NOTE: Linseed oil and bee's wax are both highly flamable, be careful when
heating them.

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com