Cob Do I really need sand in my clay?

Adam Aaron Weiss aaweiss at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 28 22:12:03 CDT 1997

In answer to your question about the cracks, I think it has more to do
with the rate of drying than the ration of materials.  That is to say if
you let the clay dry too quickly the wall will crack.  In Germany where I
worked building houses out of a straw and clay mixture, and plastering
them with a sand/clay plaster we wet the walls down with a brush and a
slip coat to stop the cracking.  Good Luck.

Adam Weiss