Cob Do I really need sand in my clay?

FROG FROG at nbs.gov
Wed Jul 30 11:44:50 CDT 1997

>In answer to your question about the cracks, I think it has more to do
>with the rate of drying than the ration of materials.  That is to say if
>you let the clay dry too quickly the wall will crack.  In Germany where
>I worked building houses out of a straw and clay mixture, and plastering
>them with a sand/clay plaster we wet the walls down with a brush and a
>slip coat to stop the cracking.  Good Luck.

     Adam:

     Do you do this after the earth plaster has completely dried?  The slip
     coat sounds primarily like a crack filler.  Yes?  Do you add sand to
     your clay slip coat?

     Thanks

     sam

   0<    0-      0<    0-      0<    0-      0<
  L      L      L      L      L      L      L

 Sam Droege  FROG at NBS.GOV
 w 301-497-5840 h 410-798-6759 fax 301-497-5784
Dodon Farm

All nature wears one universal grin.
      -Fielding - Tom Thumb the Great.