Cob Do I really need sand in my clay?

Adam Aaron Weiss aaweiss at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:45:15 CDT 1997

Sam-

I think that the main purpose of the slip coat was to prevent cracking,
but as I think back on it now I think that it only prevents surface
cracking.  The major cracks of the wall were avoided by the right amount
of clay per unit sand as you had indicated in your first message.
Therefore, the proper ratio of materials IS essential, but for aesthetic
purposed the plaster coat can be doctored to look smoother if you keep the
plaster from drying out too quickly.  This can also be accomplished by
misting the walls with something like a windex bottle full of water.

Adam