Cob coblist

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Jul 29 04:03:00 CDT 1997

We are wanting to build a Cob home,and would like to correspond with
> like minded people.  We are not sure how to reply to specific people
> on the coblist

To reply to specific people on the coblist just look for the email
address in the email they used to send the email to the coblist.
for example mine is goshawk at gnat.net

 Any help will be appreciated.; If we build in
> the country will we have to follow any building codes?

That varies from place to place, It just happens that the codes I
have had to deal with are septic related. Where do you live and where
are you thinking of building?

> <BR>Is it difficult to insure a non-traditional home(just wondering)? How
> about info on foundations and roofs?.

The cob cottage co offers a book called "the cobber's companion: How
to build you own earthen  home"
The cob cottage web site is:
http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage

they also offer workshops. You can look at books on adobe building
because the foundations will work with cob as well. It's best to look
at what you have available locally. I used sandbag foundations but
rock foundations are nice as well.

My friend Dee and I will host some classes this fall. (too dang hot
now) that will be on both permaculture and superdobe building. (ala
Nader Khalili's group in California (I don't have the url handy for
his web site but there is a link on my home page :
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk

Love and Light
Pat
Mauk GA
(and the Maukly crew)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arther C Clarke