Cob Portland, OR area clay soil

Tim A Dysinger timdysinger at juno.com
Sun Aug 3 13:24:32 CDT 1997

Greetings fellow cobbers,

	I've been trying to test the soil at a relative's farm near
Portland, Oregon and I'm not sure how good the clay is here.  I mean, I
know what good clay looks and feels like (I have clay in my backyard in
washington that is steel-gray and I can sculpt and model it).  This stuff
will stick together when wet but while it dries it crumbles easily.  I
can roll it, while wet, into a string and rap it around my finger with a
few cracks.  In the jar, it settled out fairly evenly (I couldn't see any
specific line that would indicate silt).  I'm going to sun dry a clump
today to see how hard or crumbly it gets.  Any help/suggestions?  Any
Portland, OR cobbers lurking?

Tim Dysinger
timdysinger at juno.com
(503) 663-2287