Cob Earth plaster & expansive clay

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Wed Aug 6 15:49:32 CDT 1997

Hi Robert,

Sounds like you have good quality clay thus little clay is needed. At
one point when we were building a cob structure we encountered what at
first looked like good clay was infact mostly silt which is not
desirable at all. The stickier the better. Your plaster will probably be
quite porous due to the high water content at the time of application.
Your assumption appears quite reasonable.

Another point you may consider is if the plaster dries in direct
sunlight I have heard it sometimes cracks from drying too fast. You may
want to try a number of mixes (record your mixes) varying the
ingredients and plaster on spare bales of straw exposed to the elements
and see what seems to hold up best. Create some real world tests of
blistering hot (mirrors on a sunny day) and driving rain (from hose)
etc.

Regards,
Will