Cob cob recipe

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Wed Aug 13 13:48:31 CDT 1997

Hi Phyllis and Benton,

The ideal cob depends on the quantity and quality of sand and clay.
Ideally the sand sound be angular not smooth beach sand. The ideal clay
should be really sticky.  You can partly test the soil by the jar,
scrape off the organic top soil and screen some soil to use to remove
rocks and roots etc. Add the soil to the clear jar and add water to the
top. Really shake it up then let it sit. The contents will settle in the
following order from the bottom up: sand, silt, clay and water.  The cob
mixture needs to be 50 - 80% sand by volume for it's compressive
strength. The clay should be 10 - 30% of the mixture depending on the
stickiness. The clay is the glue that holds the sand together. There
will also likely be some silt in the mixture the less the better.

Many times the soil needs to be fortified with either sand or clay (or
both if the soil is really silty). You can make a test batch of cob by
mixing up some soil and water really well. Try to form the mixture into
a ball in your hand if it falls apart it either has not enough clay or
too much water or too much silt. If it is really sticky add some sand.
Mix well then add a bunch of straw (not hay) and mix well. Form the cob
into small bricks for testing. You can vary the mixture for a number of
test batches. Ensure you remember the mix for the small batches and let
the cobs harden. Once dry you should be able to tell what combination
makes the best and strongest cob. You can usually find clay near ponds
and lakes. Sometimes what at first appears to be clay is high silt
content, the test is clay is very slippery and sticky in between your
fingers. Sand used for concrete works great for cob.

Good luck!

Regards,
Will