Cob Roof Beams: Hemlock vs Fir? And...Where I Found Clay

Vernon B. Johnston vajohnston at nas.com
Tue Aug 26 03:20:31 CDT 1997

 I have the opportunity to get some small, downed Hemlock trees to use to span 16' in the cob house that we are building.  Will Hemlocks do the same job as Fir when it comes to that kind of span?  And if so, what would be the minimum size (not milled up) that I could use for that span?  I also have some fir, but Hemlock is more prevalent.  16' is my largest span, not counting the over-hangs.

Also, thank you for the initial response to my questions about extra straw in the cob for insulation purposes.  And... the idea about polished aluminum sheet metal for a Sun Tube; what a great idea from Bob Bolles.

I am building in a spot that has little clay in the soil.  Therefore, I have to import clay for my cob mix.  The gravel company where I have been doing business (washed river rock for my Frank Lloyd Wright rubble trench) has an abundance of clay left over as tailings after they wash their rock.   It seems as though almost pure clay is the final result at the end of the flushings.   This will work for me!  And... I foresee it also as being a very good product for the exterior and interior finish work.  It even gets better!  The gravel company views it as a waste product so they sell it to me for the cost of loading.  $3.00 for whatever my Nissan PU will hold, or deliver 12 yards to my sight for the cost of their truck driver.  Anyway, for me who was clayless, this was a great find.  Hope others can use this info.

Vernon