Cob do it yourself building codes

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Tue Oct 14 07:52:16 CDT 1997

Robert

You wrote
----------
 --------Snip-------
> It's a sad state of affairs that it's virtually illegal in most parts of
> the U.S. to build a truly sustainable house
--------snip--------

This is an area that I am just beginning to explore
I assume that you are aware of David Eisenberg's work
on just this subject?

I ask out of ignorance -
Can you site those specific parts of the code that make the use of clay
(floors, plasters) illegal?
I realize that structural walls fall into a different category, but I
wonder if a reasonable approach might not be to build a structural frame
(Post and Beam) and infill with clay materials, just as we do with Straw
Bales?

Here in Southern California, we are faced with the seismic issues, which
complicates the building with alternative materials.  There have, however,
been recently permitted Rammed Earth and Adove houses built here.  I think
that most of the alternative housing around here have been issued permits
as "experimental"..

I think the testing idea is a good one - what types of tests do you
propose?

Thanks,
Bob