Cob Why the coast?

Michael Saunby mike at chook.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 05:31:26 CST 1997

> Howdy,
>         Does anyone know why or if most cob buildings were built along the
> coasts of England?  Was it the particular climate, availability of a
> particular building material, or a traditional style, region to region?
>
> Thanks,
> April

Most cob buildings in Devon are I believe at least 200 years old, probably
nearer 300 years old.  There are properties of similar age in parts of the
county built entirely of stone, in these areas building stone is of better
quality.  So availabilty (or lack) of suitable materials must be an
important factor.  The stone where I am is so poor, you can smash it easily
with a heavy stick, the mud is much stronger.

Does anyone know if the present range of cob buildings in the UK is the
same as 300 years ago?  The areas where they are now found haven't changed
much over the last couple of centuries, unlike many other areas.  An
abandoned cob house wouldn't last very long.  Cob houses don't lend
themselves to structural changes either, so changes in lifestyles which
are more pronounced in urban areas might also be a factor.

The roof of cob houses is nearly always thatch, which in some cities was
made illegal after serious fires.

--
Michael Saunby
Teachmore Farm, Inwardleigh, Okehampton, Devon, United Kingdom. EX20 3AJ

We live in a world of reduced quotations with the quotation marks removed