Cob sledgehammers and heat retention

David DeFauw davidde at hevanet.com
Wed Dec 3 04:58:34 CST 1997

Hi Cobbers,
	Bob Bolles has understood me perfectly.  Post and beam structures are
permitted everywhere.  The fact that the walls, which are not holding up
anything but themselves, happen to be kinda thick, use straw as insulation
instead of fiberglass, and are stuccoed, are relatively unimportant to
building officials.  Even though there is a straw bale code in only a few
locations, thousands have been built in all corners of the US (and the
world) and a big percentage of those were permitted.  Building officials
are not evil people who are out to get us.  Their charge is to protect the
public by making sure their houses are built to withstand earthquakes,
severe weather events, and other hazards, and serve such public goals as
energy conservation.  Virginia Carabelli (sp?) who built one of the first
permitted straw bale houses in New Mexico found the building officials
quite helpful and lamented the negative sentiment toward building officials
that was prevalent in the SB community.
	It is true that the present building codes are biased toward today's
common building techniques, and that some standards seem to be written to
favor certain industries, but there is a way to amend the code and add
sections to it for a particular building style.  For cob building to be
more than a curiosity in the US it will need a building code based on
scientific testing just as the straw bale folks did.  Their tests proved
their buildings work and straw bale is on the verge of mass acceptance. For
cob we have the test of time in ye olde houses of England, but that holds
little relevance in earthquake country.  The folks in New Zealand are
almost finished with a code for earth building.  They said developing a
code is "not for the faint hearted."  I know I will get responses about
especially stubborn building officials.  It is difficult to build any house
not just alternative ones.  One way around the code is to have your plans
stamped by an engineer, but no engineer will stamp the plans without proof
that the building will withstand the worst natural events in the area.
Thus the need for tests.  Sorry for such a long post
David DeFauw.