Cob cobbing in S. Africa

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Wed Jan 7 14:47:30 CST 1998

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	dodge at netactive.co.za [SMTP:dodge at netactive.co.za]
>...Aside from the manual advertised on the Cob Cottage home page, which we
>will order, any advice on reading matter, and whre to get it would be
>greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the list!

Groundworks, at

http://www.cpros.com/~sequoia/index.html

has also published a Cob construction book - "The Cob Builder's Handbook," by
Becky Bee (a former Cob Cottage Co. apprentice who now has her own small cob
business).
Although the majority of the underlying "technical" material is the same between
the two, Becky's style of writing and illustrating and the design of her book is
quite different from Michael's, and there are some unique ideas in each.  If
you're planning to immerse yourselves and be cob advocates, I'd recommend having
a copy of each - some folks will respond to Michael's book more readily and some
to Becky's, and either will, in my opinion, supply equal amounts of "the essen
tials."  They just go about it differently.

I recall some postings about someone who has taught workshops in S. Africa, but
can't recall their name - hopefully someone here can!

John Schinnerer