Cob Re: daubin' the wattle

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Wed Jan 21 15:24:30 CST 1998

My understanding re W&D is minimal, as well
Bill and Athena Steen had a plastering workshop this last summer at
Canello, and their guest host was the German plaster, Frank Anderson.  Part
of his presentation included an extensive number of slides.
>From the photos, and his explanation:
Principally used with (massive) posts and beams
The top beam (some of these buildings were multi-story) had a series of
holes drilled along the center-line.
The bottom beam had a slot cut down the center.
The vertical member (probably has a name ?) was pointed at the top, to fit
into the hole, and the bottom was cut with two flat sides.
With the vertical piece held at an angle, the pointed end was placed into
the hole. The bottom was slid along the groove until it was perpendicular.
I assumed that the slot was a tight fit.
Then flexible horizontal pieces were woven between the verticals - basket
style.

Just to add another interesting item
The lath that they used for securing plaster was not metal, but what he
called "reed-mat".  It looked a great deal like the roll-up style shade
screen that comes from the orient.  Parallel pieces of bamboo or reed,
woven into a flat mat, which was stapled to the surface to be plastered.

Pretty interesting stuff

Regards
Bob Bolles
San Diego, California