Cob Size Estimates

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Thu Feb 5 18:15:53 CST 1998

Hi Shannon & Mike,

Thanks for your input as it does make me focus on some of the details
that I must not overlook.

I'm still working out the details so nothing is written in stone (I mean
COB).  What we are thinking of is evolving. Currently our thoughts are
to build a multi-level up the side of a hill. Utilizing cob as the main
building material, but also using strawbale for the North wall (and some
of the East & West walls) for insulation with cob on the inside for mass
and creative detailing.  Overall we would like the structure to resemble
a fun whimsical yet organic castle, from a past age that blends into our
hillside forest. The rooms will be organically curved and flowing. The
structure will be passive solar with lots of glass on the south side and
lots of mass. Partially bermed into the side of the hill, I am thinking
of using rammed tires (Earthship style) for the part that is bermed
underground. I am thinking of a cob/earthen floor with ground perimeter
insulation so the mass under the house can store energy to heat & cool
the house.

A great unknown is the roof structure. I intend to use exposed irregular
timbers for the roof and use straw for the insulation.  I love some of
the cedar roofs that are flowing and feel organic in nature. Like the
mushroom house in Whistler B.C.  But I also want to capture the
rainwater and fill a cistern for our main drinking water. I am not sure
if capturing water off a cedar roof is ok to drink from. Regarding the
organic flowing cedar roof, I borrowed a video of the strangest houses
in the US at my local library the other day. There is a house they call
the wale that is incredible. It's exterior is totally flowing cedar
shingles and parts are shaped like a whale. It's very creative and
reminds me of Sun Ray's type of style with an unlimited budget.

We are a family of 5 who want to live on the property ASAP. Thus we are
prepared to build in stages. Some of sections will be single story and
some 2 story. I expect our 1st section will be small and simple that has
3 or 4 rooms. Kitchen/dining/living room as one room, a bathroom, and
sleeping rooms (built in bunks?). Then future stages build separate
living room and separate bedrooms etc.  I do want to design around
activities (not necessarily around rooms). I do want to build-in some
furniture and create space for some existing furniture and appliances.

Mike, you are correct I need to start collecting useful quality used
material for the house, like windows, doors, sinks, toilet, etc.
Depending on availability using quality, price and need to help decide
what to get.

Regarding size, I do know our existing stick house uses outside
dimensions. Earthships are sized from center of the outside walls. I
have no idea how a cob house should be measured. Perhaps we should
outside dimensions and useable interior size. Our original sketches were
sized approx. 2000 sq. feet (interior) for the completed multi-level
structure. We can certainly live in less but at times it is nice to
separate ourselves from the kids. At times my wife and I feel
outnumbered.

We have a lot of creative ideas that are only possible using natural
building techniques. How long it takes to build is still a big question,
as I don't know of anyone who has built something quite like this.

Regards,
Will

Sorry for the delay in my reply, as I am very busy fixing up my current
house to sell. So we can finance our dream house.

"Becoming intoxicated with a dream gives us the passion to bring it into
reality."