Cob Straw-clay resources

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Fri Feb 20 11:19:35 CST 1998

Aloha,

OK, I finally found some stuff...:-)

There's an article by Ted Butchart  in Permaculture Activist #36 (March 1997)
- "Straw-Clay Construction" is the article title.  It has general straw-clay
info, two architectural-quality drawings and details on a method for using
with timber-frame and light stud
"blind" walls to make thick straw-clay walls.  It ends by suggesting a
booklet on
straw clay and related techniques available from Robert LaPorte.

As for the insulative values, fireproofness, etc., I don't know of any data
that would be acceptable to the average building official, although there are
the usual anecdotal estimates floating around.  Ted Butchart, Robert LaPorte,
etc. might have more technical info, if there is any.  If you want the
building officials on your side, I suggest inviting them to help you figure
it all out.  Get them curious and involved in the process so that they want
to find out too...

Resources:

Permaculture Activist
P.O. Box 1209