Cob lime-stabilized cob

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca
Tue Feb 24 16:57:58 CST 1998

Hi Frank,

There was a discussion of this in Nov 1996 on the coblist. There was a
listing about two types of hydrated lime. ASTM C207 Type N & Type S.
Type S is superior as it has a limit on the oxide content in the lime
where as the N type has no limit. The oxide is what causes the lime to
swell when wet. I wonder if Hydrated means low rated expansion when wet?

Lime putty is a mixture of Hydrated Lime (N) or (S) that is soaked in
water for a week or more till it becomes plastic like.  One recipie
recommended 5 bags type N lime in 55 gallon drum of water ,mix well and
let set for a week..

Regards,
Will