Cob Earth Construction Primer

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Thu Feb 26 11:17:46 CST 1998

Aloha Will 'n all,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Will Firstbrook WCB of BC [SMTP:wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca]
>Has anyone reviewed or seen the $25 "Earth Construction Primer" listed
>in the publication list linked from the www.cmpbs.org address below? I
>would be interested in finding out more about this book. The main thing
>I am wondering is it a book focusing on the theory and study of existing
>earthen buildings or is it focusing more on hands on how to build. How
>useful is it for a person who is building their own earthern home?

I've neither reviewed nor seen it, but I do have a friend here who was
personally involved with MaxPot.  I asked her your question and she said most
of the publications are somewhere in between theoretcial and practical.  The
word that felt best to her was "conceptual."  I gather from a conversation
with her yesterday that although lots of nitty-gritty hands-on stuff was and
is done at MaxPot, the "nuts and bolts" don't show up in the publications.
 In other words, the concepts in the publications are linked to actual
implementations at the MaxPot site, but the publications don't necessarily
contain specific implementation details.  Hope that helps...

John Schinnerer