Cob Mini Minute Bales

Mike Skinner easyhay at ren.net
Sun Mar 8 10:51:44 CST 1998

Folks,
     Based on my research, I don't know any way to mechanically produce
bales smaller than
10 X 14 X whatever, using a baler, but by hand, using a press, and hand
tying anything could be done. And there are a number of people playing
around at fairs and such. It's labor intensive, so it's mostly done for
show.
    Now, what might be possible, is cubes of straw, but the bulk density is
in the 30's. And it must have some sort of binder or additive (like
molasses). I've actually never seen straw cubes, but I'm aware of some of
the problems that might be encountered and a cuber plant is really going to
groan, rolling their eyes, and want big money for a big run, if one can
even find a processor to listen. Straw is springy and wears dies badly
among other problems. Some straw is mixed with other hays in cubes as an
"extender."

Below is a shameful self-promotion---Sorry
     For something that might be possible, I've devised a way to produce
"minute" bales, 1/9 scale, 1.5 X 2 X 4, to play with modeling. I believe I
could distribute in units of about 250. I don't have much of a clue of the
cost-depends on the amount produced. If the kind readers could give me some
indication of the demand, I could justify working on the project more. The
bales would be very life-like, considering their size, except I think the
bulk density would be around 25 pounds per cubic foot, roughly twice the
"construction" grade bale.
     If you are interested please respond by private e-mail.

Thanks,

Mike Skinner
easyhay at ren.net