Cob castle turret

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca
Tue Mar 10 13:30:21 CST 1998

Hi John,

I am thinking of actually using the turrets as small but usable living
space. So my idea is getting structural beams to extend from supporting
the floor out to be the base of the turret. My rough idea in ascii art
(not to scale). Convert to courier for correct character spacing. The
walls in the turret would be fairly light weight perhaps leichtlehmbau
with a lime-cob plaster exterior and a cob plaster interior.

                    /
                   /
                  /
              /\ /
             /  /
            /  /|       2nd Floor
  Turret -> |   |
            |   |
            |   |
            ====================  Strong floor joists
            ====================  Full logs (Vegas?)
             \  | |
 Corbelled -> \ | |
   Cob         \| |<- cob wall
                | |
                | |
                | |
                | |     Main Floor
                | |
                | |

The load of the turret would be carried by the wood floor joists. The
corbelled cob is mainly for appearance to look right. So do you think
this would work?

Regards,
Will