Cob castle turret

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Fri Mar 13 15:59:59 CST 1998

Aloha, Will,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Will Firstbrook WCB of BC [SMTP:wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca]
>I am thinking of actually using the turrets as small but usable living
>space. So my idea is getting structural beams to extend from >supporting
>the floor out to be the base of the turret. My rough idea in ascii art
>(not to scale). Convert to courier for correct character spacing. The
>walls in the turret would be fairly light weight perhaps leichtlehmbau
>with a lime-cob plaster exterior and a cob plaster interior.

Wow!  Pretty ambitious!  I get what you mean now.  I'd say the turrets would
have to be something much lighter than cob (perhaps light-clay, as you
suggest - but round forms could be a pain to make).  I suspect that a turret
of cob would weigh far too much for any reasonable size beams to support, if
it were big enough to be useful inside.  I'd guess the corbelled cob would
also help support the turret/beams to some extent.  All the load of the
turret weight will be transferred to the first story cob wall that the beams
rest in...which might be fine, but you might want to provide for some kind of
post from bottom of beam to broad load-spreading foundation to share the load
of the turrets (unless they're really lightweight).  There's my $.02 for
now...:-)

John Schinnerer