Cob street/road pavement

Chandler Benjamin ccb6789 at provide.net
Wed Mar 11 10:16:43 CST 1998

Hey uwe;

There's a great book called "Working with Nature", by John W. Brainerd,
printed by Oxford University Press copywright 1973.  It details all sorts
of things about land conservation with a permaculturist edge.  It has a
section each on roads and trails and the least expensive, most durable
alternatives, that dovetail well with nature.  It also provides some good
basic technical advice.  Most likely you can pick it up at the library- if
you can't find it anywhere, I'd be glad to email you those sections of the
book.  Good luck with your project.

Love,
Grace

----------
> From: uwe <uweb at megalink.net.mx>
> To: coblist at deatech.com
> Subject: Cob street/road pavement
> Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 11:29 PM
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> you probably wonder why I have so many questions regarding so different
topics. Well, the reason is that I want to put together a housing project
for homeless people here in Mexico. So everything that's cheap, but still
comfortable, is obviously welcome. That applies for cob, strawbale, etc.

> So now another strange question: which options could you recommend me to
pave roads and streets? So far I was thinking about beginning it like any
ordinary street, but finishing it off with stabilized earth (my favorite)
instead of concrete. After I heard that in the state of Washington they use
this material to line irrigation ditches, I liked it even better. But a
ditch is not a street, and I might have overlooked something. Opinions,
advices?