Cob Re:

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Sat Mar 14 17:48:47 CST 1998

>Hi - I would like to know if one can build a cob structure on top of a
>concrete slab surface.  If so, what would be the process to integrate the
>foundation to the slab.  Thanks.
>Marian

Marian,

Try defining the footprint of the building with a double row on concrete
chunks forming inner and outer walls lines.  (concrete chunks can be easily
obtained in urban areas - delivered free of charge)  The chunks should be
mortared down to the slab - perhaps with rebar dowels  pinned into the slab
to further make shure the thing never goes anywhere.  Because you may not
know the structural integrity of the slab, you can run a piece of rebar in
the cavity between the chunks and then pour a litte cement in there -
creating a bond beam to distribute the formidable weight of the cob walls
evenly along the slab.  Leave the surface area very rough to assure adhesion
of the cob to the concrete chunks.  You could go just one row of chunks high
which would suitabley protect the cob walls from water standing on the slab
or you can go higher to protect the walls from splash, etc.

Robert Bolman