Cob Natural Building Colloquium East

M J Epko duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com
Sun Mar 15 03:52:16 CST 1998

For those of you not on the SB list, an announcement about the Colloquium
East was posted today and is archived at
http://solstice.crest.org/efficiency/strawbale-list-archive/msg05241.html
(Those with email-only who want the info, drop me a line at
duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com
and I'll forward you the whole thing, or you can write Darren Port [who
actually has something to do with the event - I don't] at the email below.)

These colloquiums are nutty things, a good-time learn-fest. I got to last
year's southwest colloquium after having blown off a couple of the earlier
ones, and based on that one recommend this one and regret having missed the
others.

Here's the snipped brief particulars:

*

From: Ketsie <Ketsie at aol.com>
Subject: Natural Building Colloquium East

1998 Natural Building Colloquium - East
June 7-13, 1998
Dodon Farm and The Fairhaven School
Davidsonville, Maryland

Join us as we explore new and traditional building and design systems. The
focus of the NBC-East will be the specific needs of natural building in the
eastern United States and Canada: i.e., moisture, snow loads, vapor
barriers, codes, finishes etc. The NBC-East format is hands-on workshops,
demos and discussions. We will actually build several structures.

Topics Include:
• Straw-bale
• Cob
• Light Clay
• Timber Framing
• Log Construction
• Cord Wood
• Thatch
• Earth Bags
• Cob Ovens
• Straw-Clay Infill
• Sustainable Design and Building
• Photovoltaics
• Plasters and Finishes
• Sacred Space
• Bamboo Construction
• Living Roofs
• Baubiologue
• Waste Treatment Systems
• Sites
• Earth Sculpture
• Engineered Building Materials and other Natural, Bio / Agri based and
Recycled Building Materials, etc.

Presenters include: (those with * after their name have been invited)
• Tim Ivory (Eco-Bambu), Bamboo
• Doug Patterson (Environmental Building News), Engineered building products
• Juliet Cuming and David Shaw (Earth Sweet Home), Straw-bale details in
the NE
• Judy Knox and Matts Myrhman (Out On Bale [un]Ltd.), Opening Remarks and
Straw-bale dome etc
• David Eisenberg* (DCAT), Codes and Sustainability
• Athena and Bill Steen* (Canelo Project)
• Colin McGee, Thatch
• Scott Carlson* (Pompanuck Far Inst.), Cordwood
• Justin Indoine (Quist Natural Builders), Cob and Plasters
• Marty Cain, Labyrinths and Geomancy
• Kim Thompson (Straw-Bale Herbals), Straw-bale details and more
• Frank Andresen, Clay and Infill systems
• Paul Lacinski and Amy Klippenstein (Green Space Collaborative),
Straw-bale details in cold and wet climates
• Catherine Wanek and Peter Fust (Black Range Films), Straw-bale details
and waste water systems
• Ianto Evans* (Cob Cottage Co)
• Linda Smiley* (Cob Cottage Co)
• Steve Chappell, (Fox Maple Timber Framing School)
• Dr. John Todd* (Living Machines)
• William Cahill*, Thatch
• Craig Hanson (Hessel Valley Timber Framing)
• Robert LaPorte* (Natural House Building Center)
• Sun Ray Kelly (College of Nature Living)
• Eric Hart (Community Eco Design Network), Greenhouse gray water processing
• Straight Arrow Chrome, Appropriate Technology
• Joe Jenkins, Humanure and Slate Roofs
• Lyle Rawlings* (FIRST Inc.), Photovoltaics
• Jim Underwood*, Rammed Earth
• Jean D’Aragon* (CRATerre), Rammed Earth
• Cedar Rose*, Plasters and Healthy Home Design
• Kiko Denzer*, Cob, Cob Ovens
• Robert Bennett*, Sun Angles
• Henry P. MacLean*, Timeless Architecture
• And many more

Schedule:
• June 7
	Sunday evening will be a time for opening ceremonies and introductions.
• June 8-12
	Morning and afternoon hands-on workshops, technical sessions, discussions,
experimental opportunities, evening presentations (a time for colloquium
participants to present their projects)
• June 13
	Closing ceremonies.

Lodging:
A limited number of reserved dorm style men’s and women’s cabins with bunk
beds, indoor bathrooms and showers will be available at the Paxtuxent River
4-H Center just minutes from Dodon Farm. Camping is also available; campers
will have access to the cabin showers and bathroom facilities.

Cost:
$625 (for cabin)
$595 (for camping)
Both options include complete colloquium program, materials, all meals,
vegetarian (vegan available) and transportation to and from the farm and 4H
center. For detailed price, work exchange and discount information please
see the application form.

NBC-East - - c/o Green Logic Design
P.O. Box 2249
NYC, NY 10009
USA

phone: 212.769.6387
fax: 732.431.0928
email: ketsie at aol.com
http://www.planetwoodstock.com/nbc.htm

Are you interested in coordinating a building project, making a
presentation, sharing a skill or information with other NBC-East
participants? If so, please describe your presentation, including any
materials, tools or other items you may need:

Discounts: There are a very limited number of discount spaces for early
registration.
Register by March 15 and subtract $50.00

Work exchange: Some work exchange positions will be available during and
immediately prior to the event. The exchange will be based on hours worked.
If you are interested in applying for a work exchange position, please
write us and include a written statement on how best you could contribute.
We will need help with pre event set up including some building work and
foundation laying etc. Food prep and administrative positions will also be
available.

            * NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS *
   Freewheeling autonomous speculation - Think!
      Personality #7 represents only itself.
    M J Epko - duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com
     Minnesota ... on the verge of New Mexico
 We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing,
 while others judge us by what we have already done.
               - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Kavanagh