Message from Linda & Ianto - Cob Cottage part time position

shani abell ziakali at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 13:35:33 CST 1998

Dear Linda and Ianto,
  Has the part-time position been filled?  I am currently in New
England, but have attended work parties in Cottage Grove with a strong
urge to apply for an apprenticeship.  However, as life winds like a
wind-twirling river of gusty white caps and calm cool mornings, I have
yet to be in the appropriate place. If the position is open, I would
love to be considered for the job.  I have strong organizational
skills, tremendous enthusiasm to learn and little actual building
experience.  Let me know if I can be of service.  Shani Abell
---"Shannon C. Dealy" <dealy at deatech.com> wrote:

> Dear Cob Webbers and Natural Builders,
>
> Janine who has so competently managed public information and the Cob
Cottage
> Company office for the past year is itching to get back to the Earth
and Mud
> dance.  She has accepted a job starting in April, building a new Cob
House in
> Northern California.
>
> We appreciate your help and referrals of alumni or Associates you
recommend to
> join Cob Cottage as our new part time Manager of Public Information.
 We\'re
> interviewing immediately.
>
> Janine is available to train in March of 98.  We invite interested
persons to
> schedule for a week long volunteer working interview.
>
> Thank you for your support!
> Linda & Ianto

> PART TIME POSITION WITH COB COTTAGE FOR MANAGER OF PUBLIC INFORMATION
>
> IMMEDIATE, 20 Feb 1998
>
> DUTIES
> 1. Phone response to a range of natural building questions
> 2. Basic office maintenance: receiving mail, shipping, files, etc.
> 3. Register and coordinate workshop participants
> 4. Design and send out info. on special events, courses, etc., help
with the
>    Cobweb twice annually
> 5. Show Demonstration Buildings to visitors
> 6. Coordinate Cob Cottage\'s associates and trainers
>
> There are other, optional interesting tasks: teaching, public
presentations,
> graphics and design, typesetting, writing articles and building.
>
> SKILLS NEEDED
>
> * Building experience, especially cob
> * High organizational skill, detail oriented, office experience
> * Experience in work with public/communications
> * Basic typing/word processing (graphics/typeset/paste-up an asset)
> * Good stress management (we\'re busy quite often), sense of humor
>
> WORKING CONDITIONS
>
> Always fascinating, a constant stimulus.  The heart of the Natural
Building
> Movement!  Endless interesting calls, visitors, mail.  An ideal
place to
> absorb the cutting edge of an important and expanding alternative
movement.
> An exciting opportunity!
>
> We work out of a big solar heated space with lake and mountain views
on a 1200
> acre forest/meadow land trust.  10 minutes to Cottage Grove.  35
minutes to
> Eugene.  Kitchen, big garden, hot tub, silence, clean air, dark at
night, elk,
> bear, and cougar.
>
> Initially 3 days per week, opportunity to be full time; time
flexible.  You get
> an unpaid month\'s training, then join staff.  We all take modest
pay. Lunches,
> sometimes supper, garden produce, chance for a room on site.  We\'re a
> collective so you\'re self-employed.
>
> Bonuses include at least one free natural building workshop,
participation in
> Natural Building Colloquium in October, free room and board until
March 10.
> You\'ll also meet many of our professional colleagues.  Famous
writers,
> researchers, plus dozens of associates and alumni from several
countries.
> We are interviewing now, so phone Ianto, Linda, or Janine at (541)
942-2005