Cob Re: Is Linseed Oil All You Really Need?

John Straube JFSTRAUB at BRIDGE.watstar.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 12 18:09:06 CDT 1998

Thank you Mr Davis for the nice report of your experimental information.

I would like add a few caveats for the interpretation of the results.
All samples of lime/cement etc should be fully cured first, becuase the
moisture content and thus mass can change becuase of chemical reactions,
not just because of moisture absorption.

Linseed oil should not be applied to fresh lime-cement plasters becuase
their initial alkalinity is to high.  The linseed should be added after
about one year if possible.  The application to dry clay is probably OK,
and your results are very encouraging.

I would not apologize for your lack of equipment -- I think you have
provided a  lot of info without it.  Thamks again.

John Straube
Civil Engineering Dept.              Building Engineering Group
University of Waterloo               Webpage http://sunburn.uwaterloo.ca/beg
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1
UW Phone 519 888-4567 Ext 2378       UW Fax 519 888 6197
Personal Phone 519 741 7920          Personal Fax 519 885 5193
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x