Cob Re.cob fireplace

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Thu May 14 12:31:24 CDT 1998

I have thought of using some of the large rocks that are located near
here. I think cob and rock go together quite well, but I have used
some in fire pits and had some crack. Might be a good idea to try
them in a fire first and let the ones that crack, crack and use the
rest.

Oh yea I the rocks are Georgia granite

> > I'm sure concrete would work - maybe a bit tricky to form - don't know
> about
> > wiremesh expanding in the heat etc.- and isn't cobbing somewhat about not
> > using cement...:)
>
> Heh, yeah, it is I guess.
> However, I'm more or less committed to using a bit of concrete in the mix
> for my foundations so I might as well go that step further with the fire
> place.
> But the point is valid.  Any alternatives coming to mind?
>
> Rog.

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."