Cob Re: Status in Mauk

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Tue May 26 10:26:45 CDT 1998

Hi Pat

> For the dome I plan on trying to fill the poly rice bags with straw
> and build a superadobe style dome with them. I'm doing a proto type
> this week over my well. I'm not going to put any rebar or other form
> work at first just to see how sturdy the dome with be on it's own. If
> it appears weak, I'll add more reinforcement as needed. I'll let you
> all know how it comes out.

I'm a real advocate of the exterior pinning system for straw bales, and
can't help believe that they would work well with the bags, as well.  As
you are no doubt aware, we typically secure the pins at each row by
inserting a piece of baling twine (or wire) between each row with a bale
needle, looping it around the pin, and then drawing the tie back to the
other side, and tying off. I suspect that might not work well with the
bags.  We are looking at a number of alternatives.  Perhaps the most
promising is laying a loop between the bales/bags, as the wall goes up.
Although in theory, one could slide the pin down from the top, into the
loops (on the one side), it occurs to us that it would probably be easier
to cut the loop, and tie the twine/wire on both sides.
The pins certainly do not need to be rebar - I have very successfully used
Carrizo (a local bamboo-like reed), so I see no reason why 1" saplings, or
the like, wouldn't work well.
Thanks for the continuing updates, Pat.

Regards (and Happy Birthday ;-)
Bob Bolles