Cob Re: Status in Mauk

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Wed May 27 04:22:01 CDT 1998

Well I started the small dome over my pump yesterday and the while I
didn't get as far as I had hoped, I'm not as sure about the
technique.

It will definitely need some support for one thing.
It will definitely be harder to plaster than the the earth filled
bags. The reason for that is the earth filled bags are firmer than
the straw filled bags. I know I can make it work for the pump house
easy enough but the large 22 foot dome would be much harder. Yes size
does matter (at least in this case!)

I'm thinking of just doing some type of masonry roof/dome but still
kicking it around.

One other factor is that because this dome is an interior room I feel
a sky light of some type is important. I will add windows on the
exterior walls that face the door ways to the large to dome to bring
in more light from that direction, but the extra light from above
would be nice. I hate to have a room that one has to turn a light on,
even at noon.

anyway back to the drawing board.

Pat
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk