Cob and Cordwood

M J Epko duckchow at hotmail.com
Sun May 31 13:47:22 CDT 1998

I dropped in at Rob & Jaki Roy's the other day & spent a few hours. Rob
had just returned from a research trip to England for his next book,
which isn't about cordwood. Or cob. (Cob's been enjoying a recent spate
of published materials, eh? Just like SB has. Look for another cob book
in the fray in a year or so, this one from Ianto Evans, to be published
by Chelsea Green. My recommendation, as always, is that people should
get 'em all. We're talking about *houses* here - $80 or $100(US) on
these books is darned cheap in the long run even for the most destitute
of us: even if it's only one passing phrase in one of the books that
prevents a life-threatening, or just plain annoying, situation. But then
again, there didn't used to be any books about it, and there's a heckuva
lotta really good old earthen structures in this world.)

Anyway, we did talk a little bit about substituting cob for concrete in
cordwood. There's a few concerns, but without knowing any of the
specifics of a given project it's impossible to comment, really. Let me
preface the notes of caution (not objection!) he raised by saying that
he has indirect knowledge of a contemporary loadbearing cob-cordwood
house in Wales that's evidently doing well. He doesn't know just when it
was built, or how big it is, but understands that they simply
substituted cob for the concrete, and used a typical insulative filling
like the atypical one that Rob endorses. It wasn't double-wall. He's
been told that the house is doing fine. Maybe somebody from Cob Cottage
knows more, since there's some overlap-of-techniques going on.

That said... in an infill capacity (in a post-and-beam frame), he sees
no real problem with cob-cordwood. It ain't structural, so delving into
the unknown in that instance without the benefit of tests or experience
isn't very alarming. For loadbearing, the concerns were primarily that
the cob isn't going to create the kind of stable matrix with-and-around
the cordwood that concrete does, let alone be a cohesive whole. If all
the wood in a cordwood wall rots out, the concrete will still hold up
the roof; and that same stability is beneficial when it comes to uplift
(might want to think about strapping the roof to the foundation for this
project, even though it's not for habitation), and straight-line winds.

Cob walls are stable because they're monolithic. Cob Cottage folks (and
Shannon) have said in the past that using big boulders and hunks of wood
in cob walls weaken them. (What about windows and doors, huh? Huh?...
grin...) But I guess I see that point. With a cob-cordwood structure,
assuming 18"-wide loadbearing walls (kinda big for this project),
there'll be two 6"-wide (or so) bands of cob, maybe ranging from four to
six inches thick... one band of cob-mortar on the in-side, and one
out-side... and an insulative material (or airspace, not as good)
in-between, all tied together with the log-ends, which are exposed on
both sides. If the loads (live and dead) on the cob matrix exceed its
ability to not crush, there will be settling as the cob crumbles. Given
that this structure is a sauna (following Rob's basic principles of
design and use in his book on the topic?), it's possible that the
interior and exterior bands of cob-mortar may behave differently over
time... weather-events notwithstanding. That all depends a lot on the
batch of cob, though. Using cob-mortar all the way through, eliminating
the core thermal break, would *possibly* make it more structurally
stable, but would kill the thermal resistance (Rob uses Malcom Wells'
pet phrase, "thermal nosebleed"), which would be an especially bad thing
since we're talkin' sauna here.

Um, that's all that's coming to what's left of my mind just now. Is
Bekcy Bee doing your workshop, or is that a different-but-similar thing
somewhere else?

*

Oh, regarding the bark-falling-off-as-the-tree-dries thing, it's my
understanding that its species-dependant. Some kinds of trees are easier
to debark green, and almost impossible afterward... while others do
indeed shrink away from their skins when they die.

*

Say, Charmaine, the hard-copies of your catalog arrived at Earthwood...
did you send one to TLS? If not, could you? HC66 Box 119, Hillsboro NM
88042 ... thanks... If you already did send one, I'll look it over when
I get back there.

*

Please direct any responses to duckchow at mail2.greenbuilder.com and not
the address this came from. I'm on the road (currently Annapolis, MD,
staying at Sam's farm for a couple weeks, and ready for the Natural
Building Colloquium East). I'll be back in three weeks or so, but am
checking in on things when the opportunities come along.