Cob Re: what duckchow said

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Jun 6 07:46:15 CDT 1998

On DuckChow philospohy:  even if it's only one passing phrase in one of the
books that
>prevents a life-threatening, or just plain annoying, situation. But then
>again, there didn't used to be any books about it, and there's a heckuva
>lotta really good old earthen structures in this world.)

[Charmaine's philosophy]  As I do my research on ancient earth building I
come across the most amazing uses of earth/dirt/ rolls of turf and truly
creative ways people used local materials...makes me embaressed to be
'civilized'.

The one emerging point is that people have always depended on themselves to
build..and in just the last (few) hundred years we have completely lost our
'builder's spine' and the courage to do it ourselves( in 'advanced'
societies).

It will take a sea change ( which is coming IMHO) that will influence the
codes/planners/officials and  encourage  the control people have. When
DCAT- D. Eisenberg and others keep stirring thoughts, and waving flags and
raising awareness we all learn, and the light bulb goes on.

The look on the faces of ( mostly)  men when I explain you can build a
house with earth is priceless...they grasp that THEY can actually build
their own home...very powerful stuff..to enable yourself.

>>off soap box

  Is Bekcy Bee doing your workshop, or is that a different-but-similar thing
>somewhere else?

[crt] Becky Bee is indeed doing workshops allover, In WA June 15, Again
July 1-7, and back to  MI, Arkansas, etc. She says people in Ark. just
can't locate books and info as easily as we coastal/semi-big city types,
and they prolly aren't on  internet as much...excepting Pat N. in Ga. of
course <g>

Charmaine R. Taylor
Elk River Press & Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build it themselves'
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/elkriver.html