Cob Codes

Steve Berlant steve at naturalbuilder.com
Wed Jun 10 19:00:33 CDT 1998

Hello everyone.<br>
There is some code phobia regarding cob.  As an attorney and a
natural building educator, I would like to dispel it. <br>
The latest comments on my cob codes posting were as follows:<br>
<I find that they [The 3 jurisdictions which specifically include cob
as a building system] consist primarily of descriptions of a multitude of
ASTM, UBC, etc. materials specifications and standards that need years
and $$$ for formal testing procedures to "prove" that one's
materials "meet code."  Either that or a friendly building
official is needed to let such formally stated requirements pass and look
the other way...><br>
I'd first like to respond to these statements by saying that I feel that
it is very exciting that cob is recognized as a legitimate building
system in at least 3 building codes in the United States.  This is a
very important first step in legitimizing cob building in this
country.  I have had more than one building official laugh when the
word "cob" was mentioned.  Being able to show such an
official that there are adobe building codes [especially in major
metropolitan ccommunities] that specifically allow cob construction is a
huge credibility booster.  <br>
Cob construction goes by many names.  The 3 Arizona codes refer to
cob as puddled adobe.  I prefer the term monolithic adobe myself
instead of "cob" or "puddled adobe" since these two
terms often lead to quick judgements and prejudice by some uninformed
persons.<br>
The 3 adobe/cob codes are more like performance based codes and do not
specify exactly how one is to build with cob other than the usual wall
height to thickness formulas, use of lintels, buttressing and other
basics of adobe construction.  Do not forget that cob is
adobe.  It is just one big piece of adobe ( and a lot more fun to
work with too!)  <br>
Any adobe construction would be required to show "prove"
that the earthen building materials meet standard compression and modulus
of elasticity tests.  If you made your own bricks, you would be
responsible for having the tests done.  If you purchased the bricks
at an adobe yard, the yard would have the tests done for you.
<u>These tests are easy, fast and not expensive. </u> Any certified
engineering laboratory can do them.  It makes sense to test the
materials to make sure that they can hold the weight of the structure's
walls and roof.  We do not need any cob buildings falling down and
hurting anyone.  That would be the end of cob construction in
permitted areas in this country.<br>
I also prefer that the codes do not set stringent restrictions
[prescriptive standards] on exactly how one must prepare the cob and
apply it to the wall.  As long as the material (cob) is structurally
suitable for construction purposes and the building's design meets the
adobe code provisions, the building department will be
pleased.   Standard building practice for adobe construction is
set forth in the codes.  Any reasonably built cob structure can meet
these requirements. There is no reason that a "friendly building
official" should need to "look the other way". <br>
I hope that this helps to clear things up.  You can visit my web
site to see the full "cob" code.  I also discuss this in
more detail in my latest books on natural building which are also
available only at the web site.  I have written a series of 3 books
called <u>The Natural Builder, </u>one book is on earthen construction,
one on cob construction and one on natural plasters.<br>
Have fun cobbing!<br>
Steve Berlant<br>