Cob Codes

John Schinnerer JohnS at STLabs.com
Thu Jun 11 14:07:58 CDT 1998

Aloha,

	There's a feisty 70-ish lady a friend of mine told me about who is
building her own cob home...she told the building department she was going
to build a greenhouse and they said something like "no problem, you don't
need any permits for that sort of thing."  So if any of them come to have a
look later on, it will indeed be a house and she's planning to color it
green...  :-)

	One good thing that may arise from these examples of regional code
variations is an increased recognition that "universal" codes, materials and
methods that ignore local climates, resources, abilities and other regional
considerations are a huge mistake.

	There are some counties with codes that do have options where I can
be at least somewhat of a responsible owner-builder (through various types
of "owner-builder" and "experimental structure" permits).  There are some
counties where I can't even do my own plumbing or electrical (done to code
and able to pass a formal inspection) but must hire a state-licensed
contractor.

	I'm not interested in fitting cob or any other materials to the
existing system in which codes arise.  I prefer to have code systems change
to reflect and respect regional and individual knowledge, conditions,
materials and experience.

	John Schinnerer